Daryl Hall


Tonight, Dawn and I went to see one of her idol's, Daryl Hall. To see him in a small venue like the Keswick Theater is just about as good as it gets. There were fans waiting for his arrival in the parking lot, when we pulled in. As we got into the theater, the crowd was mostly female, go figure, and many couples. Daryl's music is so soulful it makes me wonder where he got so much soul from. It must be from the fact that Phila. is such a gigantic part of the music business, with so many great acts along with Gamble and Huff, that as a native of the area, it just grew into him.

The band led by T-bone on guitar was note for note perfect. Harmonies were so good I was looking for the females to be hiding in the wings, only to realize there were no female singers on stage. The interaction between Daryl and his audience was to be expected for a native of the area. Personal accounts of growing up in the area, attending Temple and even joking about not doing any "John songs".

I will have to admit though, that I was disappointed in the precision of the "escape plan" for the entire bands departure. It ran like clockwork, and there was absolutely no chance for any contact with any member of the band. I would think that as a home grown boy, There would have been some interaction with the fans for pictures, autographs, but that was not happening at all. It was executed like a presidential arrival, with the band van running interference for the SUV that would carry Daryl.

I was hoping for an autograph on the guitar, but more I was hoping that Dawn would be able to meet and get a picture with Daryl. Too bad it didnt happen.

1 comment:

jen said...

Hi,

I was the DH show-Keswick, also. Front row; right stage. Being a hard-core fan for many years, I attend shows regularly, and this venue, as I expected, was the absolute best. HOWEVER...I do have to say, and I agree with you, that (after all) it was Philly...there needed to be some after show interaction. I get extremely annoyed with this...as this has been a pattern in ALL of his shows, lately. I don't know if it's arrogance, lack of sensitivity, or what. Maybe even a fantasy of his that it's still "the 80's" and he's being mobbed by a million fans. Don't think so. There were(in the last show in NYC) and July 12th-Philly A HANDFUL of people after the show. And I mean a handful. I thought, and still do think it's rude, arrogant and impersonal on his part to just make this, as you say, well-planned escape, with no acknolwedgment from ANY of the group. I wonder what he would do if NOBODY showed up after the shows....Hmmm? Thanks for your post...I feel very strongly about this issue...and wish he would receive the feedback. Bye....Jenny