The trouble with getting things autographed

The trouble with getting the guitar signed tonight was that there are an increasing amount of people coming to get things signed that bring an arm full of albums or 100 pictures and take up a good amount of time with the artist, making it hard for the true collector to get one item signed. In particular, there is a set of brothers that have been increasing prevalent at signings, coming with over 20 records between them. There is no way that they are not doing this as a business and selling the items they get. This is the type of thing that both the artist does not want, and it is what makes it harder for the true fan to simply get the autograph of someone they enjoy. I am a collector for an investment it is true, but it is for way down the road, say 15 years from now, not tomorrow on ebay. I decided to start getting my guitars signed by artists I have enjoyed all my life as an investment for the college fund of my grandchildren. They youngest is going to be 4 this year so I have 13-17 years before I even start to think about selling my guitars. And since I play guitar, I wont even do that till after I sell my 20 long boxes of comics ranging from 1960's to 1990's. I think that seeing people with arm fulls of items to sign is a dead giveaway that they are ebay sellers ( or something similar ) for a profit. Also, another alarming trend I see is that the people getting autographs, are not even attending the show the artist is performing at. They merely show up with a mirage of items and stand out behind the venue and at times demand, most certainly push their way into getting some if not all of their items signed. This is a trend I hope to see get smaller as time goes on and not become more of the norm

No comments: