The Absolute Zeros

Well busy busy busy was I on Sat. After the Fab Faux show, I went down to center city and saw a Local band called the Absolute Zeros. They had requested to be my friend on myspace and had asked me to come see them and give them a review, and after a few months of playing tag, the nite finally came. The band consists of the following: Kelvin Cochrane - Vocals, Guitar: Sabu Rex - Bongos, Percussion; Steve La Monica - Bass; "Wild" Bill Rose - Drums: Austin - Lead Guitar. Tonight however there were only 4 members, Sabu was not there. Now I had heard of this band from another local performer, Laura Cheadle (who by the way has been previously written about, check her blog out). Well, Dawn and I were pleasantly surprised, not knowing what we were in for. In my opinion, Kevin's voice is a cross between, Joe Cocker and Jonnie Lang. Steve is a fret running bassist, Austin is a great guitarist, and Bill on drums is a sold essential metronome for the band. Their music is a cross between 60's rock like Joe Cocker, to New Orleans style funk like Jon Cleary. It was well worth the wait to see this band and it is great to have become their friends. I will be catching more of them in the future and I am sure, enjoying watching them grow into a major force to promote the "Philly Sound" of today along with other great up and coming local acts.

No comments: